Sunday, June 16, 2013

Chris Arnold's Seat Belt Story

It happened in a little Northern California town called Meadow Vista. It was a beautiful bright sunny day at 10am and I was on a rural road bringing a Christmas present to my best friend before leaving town for the holidays. It was Dec. 16 1989. What I didn't know is that the sun hadn't hit a particular curve in the road and though I wasn't speeding (I had just barely shifted into third gear), my car began fish tailing as it hit the patch of ice. I was a habitual seat belt wearer and never put my car in gear until I was buckled. That was true this day as every day. As my car whipped out of control, I struggled with the steering wheel but the next thing I knew, I was heading sideways into a telephone pole aiming straight for my face. I ducked toward the passenger's seat and within seconds, the windshield was in my lap and pieces of glass were sprinkling all around me. 
 
When the rescue crews arrived, they told me that they had a helicopter on standby from UC Davis Medical Center because they didn't think I had survived! Though the seat belt is responsible for my broken collar bone, it most definitely saved my life  When I went back to look at the car later, there was a utility pole dent right where my head would have been if I hadn't "ducked," but without a seat belt holding me in place, I also would have likely been smeared all over the interior of the car! Even my youngest son, who is 16, won't put the car in gear until everyone is buckled in!